This year we have started work towards become an Eco-School. To achieve this we have formed an Eco-Team of pupils from Years 2-6, who will meet half-termly to discuss and implement changes to school, which will help to lesson our carbon footprint and look after our local environment.
What is Eco-Schools?
Eco-Schools is a seven step framework that thousands of schools, nurseries and colleges around the world use to introduce, manage and complete environmental actions in their organisation and local community. Uniquely, the Seven Steps aim to place young people at the heart of these environmental actions. This approach engages, motivates and empowers young people to care for our planet now and throughout their lifetimes. You can read a brief summary of each of the Seven Eco-Schools Steps below, or head to our Early Years, Primary or Secondary & College pathways above for the full criteria, further details, resources and examples.
When a school, nursery or college has worked through each of the Seven Steps, they can then apply for Eco-Schools Green Flag accreditation. The Eco-Schools Green Flag is international and recognised by organisations such as UNESCO. It is a symbol of a school’s commitment to environmental education.
The Seven Eco-Schools steps are designed to make environmental actions pupil-led. Working through each of the seven steps and achieving Eco-Schools Green Flag accreditation is designed to be done in a single academic year. Several of the steps, for example Step 5: Informing and Involving, naturally overlap and this is encouraged – our process is designed to be holistic.
Below, is a brief summary of each step, .
- Eco-Committee, a group of students and adults responsible for all things Eco-Schools.
- Environmental Review, a free-to-download resource which has been designed to review learning environments and provide inspiration to Eco-Committees.
- Action Plan, a plan for environmental actions in your school, college or nursery.
- Curriculum Links, including environmental issues in your school’s, college’s, or nursery’s learning.
- Informing and Involving, including all pupils, staff members and your local community in Eco-Schools work.
- Monitoring and Evaluation, measuring the impact of the projects in your Action Plan.
- Eco-Code, a rallying call that everyone can get behind!
Our Eco-Schools Action Plan 2021-2022
Ten Energy Saving Tips