School Council 2022-2023
What does the school council do at our school?
- We meet every few weeks as a group with Miss Walsh to discuss current school issues.
- We represent our class and give all pupils a voice.
- We help with the interview process when appointing new staff for our school.
- We hold circle times in our own classes to raise and discuss issues.
- We help with evidence trails that other adults around school may be doing.
- We gather ideas from our class and complete surveys when needed.
- We feedback to our classes after every meeting to inform them of what was discussed and how their opinions were shared with other members of the School Council.
This year we have lots of great ideas of things we would like to achieve as a school council. A lot of our ideas centre around returning to a more 'normal' school life following the restrictions from the pandemic. As a group, we created a mind map of everything we wanted to achieve and we had lots of ideas! We've decided to start with a couple of important areas. We would like to set up sports leaders across school again as this hasn't been possible due to the pandemic. We would like to help the environment around school by going on a litter picking trip somewhere local. We want to use our voice to share our class's opinions about school life in a sensible way and feedback information clearly.
Our work during the academic year 2022-2023.
-Organise sports leaders to run at lunchtimes. This included giving out application forms, sorting them and carrying out interviews. We then placed them on to playgrounds. (The sports leaders also have weekly training to support them in their roles.)
-School council have fed back on how effective they are on each playground.
-School council met with Labour MP Simon Lightwood to have a Q&A. They collected questions from their classes which they shared in the meeting. They then fed these back to classes following the meeting. The children were amazing and very sensible!
-We are currently completing safeguarding surveys with our classes to gain their views on behaviour and safety across school.
-We have also supported Year 1 to complete the survey. We went in to classes and helped them read and answer the questions.