School Sports Funding
Snapethorpe Primary School recognises that all pupils regardless of their background should have equal access to a curriculum which will enable them to reach their potential. The sports funding premium is a Government initiative that targets extra money to all pupils and all schools.
The Government are not dictating how schools should spend this money, but are clear that schools will need to employ the strategies that they know will support these pupils to increase their active participation in sports.
Schools must spend the additional funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses for the funding might include:
- hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers when teaching PE
- paying for professional development opportunities for teachers in PE and sport
- providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE and sport
- running sport competitions, or increasing pupils’ participation in the School Games
- buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE and sport
- providing places for pupils on after school sports clubs and holiday clubs
- pooling the additional funding with that of other local schools
ACE's Sport Impact Report 2022-2023
As a school we work closely with ACE's, who are a sports education company, with the aim of promoting lifelong learning through sport. All staff trained in first aid, safeguarding and have degrees in Sport prior to being taught how to teach by PE Team Leader, Kyle Dench (BSc, PE QTS, MA Education). In school we have worked with ACE's to improve opportunity, structure and delivery of PE, while adapting current resources to create greater impact in lessons.. Sessions ran by ACE's this academic year have been • Tagitiv8, Healthy Lifestyles, Social PE, Sport Leaders and After school Clubs. To learn more about our work with ACE's and the impact that they have had on our school please click and read the document below.
In alignment with the National Curriculum our schools provides swimming lessons to pupils within Year 5. Currently our pupils attend both Sun Lane and Normanton Centre. Pupils are taught to:
- swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres
- use a range of strokes effectively [for example, front crawl, backstroke and breaststroke]
- perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations
Our 2022-2023 school leavers received a 18% pass rate at swimming during the academic year 2021-2022.